Can I transfer my KiwiSaver if I emigrate permanently from New Zealand?

You can withdraw your KiwiSaver money if you emigrate permanently from New Zealand. Different rules apply depending on where you move:

Moving to Australia

If you are moving to Australia, you will need to transfer your KiwiSaver account to an Australian regulated superannuation scheme. You should check with your Australian provider before starting the transfer process as not all Australian Superannuation schemes will accept New Zealand KiwiSaver balances.  You must transfer all of your KiwiSaver balance including all Government contributions.

You can make this transfer immediately.


If you are moving elsewhere, you may be able to withdraw your KiwiSaver balance after one year of being overseas. You will be able to withdraw your contributions and any investment returns but not any government contributions.

For this, we will need a statutory declaration from you stating you have permanently emigrated from New Zealand, evidence that you have departed (for example, your passport records) and that you have lived at an overseas address at some time during the year after your departure.  We will only pay the funds into a foreign bank account.

In both cases, you should get in contact with us ([email protected]) and we can help you figure out what is best for you.

If you return to New Zealand, you can rejoin KiwiSaver scheme if you're eligible.